If you’re looking for a frugal, long-lasting advent calendar, let me recommend the 24 books of Christmas Advent calendar. My friend DeAnn told me about this a couple years and we’ve been doing ever since! I love that it’s family activity – we take turns opening a different book, each night, and we read the story together as a family. . . usually in the glow of the Christmas tree.
- As many as 24 Christmas books (they don’t have to be new, I wrap up a lot of the same books every year!)
- Wrapping Paper
- Paper for labels
- Wrap up 24 of your favorite Christmas books
- Label them 1 through 24.
- Each night have kids take turns opening a book. You will open #24 on December 1, with 24 days until Christmas. I save The Night Before Christmas for Christmas Eve!!
- Read the book as a family each night
- You’ll open #1 on Christmas Eve! I saved The Night Before Christmas for that night!
More tips for creating your Christmas Advent Calendar
- The first night, I had a *new* Christmas book for each kid. Just to start off with a fun treat.
- If you don’t have 24 books, just wrap up the Christmas books you have! For example, if you only have 12 books, just open a new book every other day.
- The books don’t have to be new! We’ve picked up many books at thrift shops over the years!
- Midway through the month, I wrapped up some Christmas workbooks that I found at the Dollar Tree, they include stickers and activities. One for each kid.
- You can label them or leave them all unlabeled and let the kids pick!
I’d love to hear – do you have a favorite Advent calendar tradition?