As I mentioned last week – I’m on a mission this year. I’m going to call it Project Downsize and the purpose is to get rid of as much stuff in my house as possible.
I’m doing this for two reasons:
- We have plans to move this summer and instead of upgrading to a bigger, better house, we plan to dramatically reduce our square footage. We aren’t being forced to do this – it’s a choice. We want to spend less on our next “home” so that we can focus more on things we love and value – like travel.
- I want to own my stuff and not have it own me. Ultimately I only want to keep the items that a.) serve a purpose and b.) that bring me joy.
My February goal is to find high-value items in my home that I can resell on Amazon, eBay and Craigslist.
Although we don’t officially plan to move until this summer, I don’t want to wait until the last minute. If I wait until the last minute then I’ll end up throwing everything into a garage sale – which means I’ll be forced to sell the items for a lot less than I would if I list the items online. Although more work upfront – to photograph, list and sell items online – you can make considerably more than tossing it onto a table at a garage sale.
I plan to sell items THREE ways:
- Amazon.com – Plan to sell items like books, electronics and DVD/movies
- Ebay – Plan to primarily sell clothing and shoes
- Craigslist – Plan to sell furniture, “lots” of items – basically groupings of like items, and items that would be difficult to ship or sell online
Revenue Goal – I am more motivated when I set a goal, so I’m going to try and earn $2,000 from selling items from around my house this month. I don’t have any crazy expensive items – so this is going to be a lot of work. But I’m up for it.
I will report back each Sunday in February with an update on items I sold and how much I’ve made from my February Selling Spree.
If you’re hoping to downsize and declutter this year – what are your February goals? Let me know, I’d love to encourage you!