I’ve been battling a head cold all week and the perfect solution? Hot and Sour Soup! It’s inexpensive, filling, and it will clear your sinuses. I also love that there are only a few ingredients and it can be ready in 15 minutes (that includes prep time)!
4 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp asian hot sauce, or chili paste, (or to taste, start with a little and add until it seems like it carries the right punch)
2 cup(s) mushroom(s), sliced (I prefer crimini, but white, shitake or any kind of mushroom will work just fine)
9 oz firm tofu
1 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 medium scallion(s), sliced
optional – 1/3 cup(s) bamboo shoots, sliced
optional – egg whites
Dice up your tofu, mushrooms and bamboo shoots
In a soup pot, stir together the chicken broth, vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and tofu.
Bring to a simmer and cook for five (5) minutes.
Stir in cornstarch and simmer two (2) minutes more.
Serve, sprinkling each bowl with sliced scallions.
Like most of my other recipes – you add more of what you want and less of what you don’t. I love mushrooms – so I add a lot. Tofu regularly goes on sale for $0.99 a container (it seems like it’s on sale a lot at Safeway?) and this can be a great meal to whip up when you find a good deal on mushrooms. I think this soup would freeze just fine.
Let me know what you think!
Here are some other recipes I’ve posted in the past:
- Pesto red potato salad
- Slow cooker chicken taco soup
- Mint Oreo Frozen Dessert
- Tricia’s Heavenly Sweet Tea
- Grilled Thai New York Steak with lime sauce
- Mandarin Chicken Salad
- Broccoli, sausage, oregano stir fy
- Easy Peasy Pizza (courtesy of Trader Joe’s)
- Greek Chicken and Orzo Skillet recipe
- Bacon-wrapped blue cheese dates
- Quinoa salad with arugula, craisins, pistachios, balsamic vinegar
- Tomatoes, Feta, Corn, Cilantro Salad
- My grandma’s roll recipe, plus a time-saving tip (BEWARE – You can’t eat just one)
- Moroccan Chicken with couscous