Let the banana recipes begin. I told you this weekend I was able to score 63 pounds of bananas for only $7 (only 11 cents a pound) – so we’ve been making the most of them! Yesterday I made a roasted coconut banana bread that my family loved! The recipe comes straight from Bernard Clayton’s New Complete Book of Breads.
1 cup flaked coconut
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3 tablespoons milke
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract – If you like almond flavor, I’d maybe add a full teaspoon?
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about two medium bananas)
- Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. I just used butter.
- Spread coconut onto baking sheet and toast in oven at 350 degrees. The recipe said 15 minutes – but mine was very brown after five minutes, so keep a close eye on it.
- In a large mixing bowl (or mixer) – mix together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in milk, lemon juice, and almond extract.
- Sift flour again into mixing bowl with baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Blend well. Add in bananas and gently fold in coconut (save some coconut to sprinkle on top of loaf)
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan. Push dough to corners with a scraper.
- Sprinkle remaining coconut on top
- Bake until light brown at 350 degrees – for about an hour. You’ll know it’s done if you stick a toothpick in middle and it comes out clean (no batter on it).
- Let loaf cool about 10 minutes, then turn over onto wire rack.
Ellie Robinson says
Found your recipe on Pinterest and it looked so good I had to try it. It was so good!! I did add toasted walnuts to mine bc old habit, from banana nut bread. Thank you for sharing
Looks so yummy. I am going to try it as soon as I buy the banana 🙂 Thanks for sharing!!