It’s Crock-tober! As part of this month-long series I’ll be featuring slow cooker and crockpot recipes that are easy and inexpensive!
This a perfect recipe for fall – using apples (in season and on sale!) and pork – both playing so nice together. It reminded me of sweet version of pulled pork. This recipe is adapted from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook (Amazon link) – a true gem of a slow cooker cookbook, if you’re looking for one.
3-4 pound pork roast – we used a pork shoulder roast, cookbook suggestss pork loin
Trim visible fat, rinse and dry with paper towel, seasoned with salt and pepper
6-7 tart cooking apples – we used Granny Smith
Peeled, cored and quartered
We used something similar to the Apple and Potato Peeler, Suction Base and it saves a lot of time
1/3 cup apple juice, fruity white wine or Champagne
We used Ooh La La Reisling, a wine sent to me by Ooh La La to review. It’s a very sweet wine, so it went well with this recipe. You could use any Reisling probably or apple juice.
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
HOW TO PREPARE
- Preheat a large skillet on high heat. Add a little oil to the pan. Once oil is hot, toss the pork roast into the hot pan and brown on all sides.
- Throw all the apples into the slow cooker. Put the browned roast on top of the apples in the slow cooker.
- Combine apple juice, brown sugar and ginger in a small bowl and pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce to low heat and cook until fork tender for 7 to 8 hours. I think we just cooked ours on medium for 7-8 hours to avoid the hassle of changing the temp after an hour.
- After it’s cooked, if your pork is still in a solid state (not completely shredded) you can transfer to a warm platter and let it rest 10 minutes before serving. Our pork had completely fallen off the bones and resembled a pulled pork – this is probably because we used a roast instead of the suggested pork loin.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or other starch.
Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook – $11.41
Here are other Slow Cooker Crockpot recipes we’ve recently posted:
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Applesauce recipe
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Pumpkin recipe (you can’t taste the pumpkin!)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Santa Fe recipe
- Slow Cooker Breakfast – Overnight Pumpkin Pie Steel-Cut Oats
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumpling Soup recipe
I was thinking of making this recipe soon because Pork shoulder is on sale at TOP Foods. Did you enjoy this recipe? Anything you would have done differently?
Beth Johnson says
Sounds great! Mine is in my brand new Crock Pot from Freddy’s!